Sunday, June 16, 2013

How to Calculate Electricity Usage


I had never cared about how to calculate electricity usage. One day, after getting my electricity bill, I was so surprised that I couldn't believe my eyes; it was too high.

Maybe some people have had such an experience like me. If you understand a way to calculate the usage, you can efficiently use electricity and reduce electricity usage.   

Here is a way to calculate electric power in watts.
  1. Check out the home appliances you have.
  2. Pay attention to the yellow EnergyGuide label; you can see rated power.
  3. Write down the rated power and make a list.
  4.  Multiply the rated power, hours daily using, and 30 days, and you will get monthly electricity usage. For example, if an home appliance has a wattage of 1200 and you use 1 hour every day, the way to calculate is to be 1200 X 1 X 30 = 36kWh.

    If you see amperes of an appliance instead of wattage, convert amps to watts. Here is a formula for it:
    Watts = Volts x Amps

I link a website for a free electricity usage calculator: http://www.electricity-usage.com/Electricity-Usage-Calculator.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment